Feb 23, 2018

Blacksmith Scene

A recording of the scene:



This project had two different phases. The initial phase involved creating a small variety of models with strict specifications. The theme was intended to maintain a medieval blacksmith workshop setting, which meant a very particular look. Each model required two versions, one made with a high amount of fidelity and another without. The standard design philosophy in today's modern 3D modeling is to generate detail from a high-quality model and put a picture of that detail onto the lower-quality version for the sake of performance.


Pictured above is the low poly brick forge with materials applied

My scene contains a brick forge, solid-metal anvil, small hammer, and some other wooden objects, including a stool, bucket, barrel, and cart. After completing all models with Autodesk Maya, I created textures for them using Allegorithmic Substance Painter. Unfortunately, I failed to generate ambient occlusion and other required maps, which makes the resulting texture files look poor as well as not meeting the project requirements.

Once the models were finished and textures created, I created a scene in Unity. Later, I added terrain with various textures and heights, lighting, ambient sounds, particle effects, and a camera with movement to complete the scene. Such is available for viewing above if you have not done so already.



I encountered several issues throughout the course of this project phase. Some were able to be solved, such as modeling constraints, while others went without mercy, like severe lighting issues and missing ambient occlusion maps. What I have learned has encouraged growth within the field of game development, and I hope that in the future I can more readily meet demands.