Oct 24, 2017

Dining Scene - Final




A Beachside Restaurant at Dusk
Inspiration:

Being from San Diego, I have been taken to many eateries by my parents. That would include those located directly in view of the beach and ocean horizon. For my scene, I wanted something classy that overlooks some kind of oceanic thing. I started with the idea of eating on a ship deck, but the criteria of the assignment asked for an indoor scene, so I reluctantly added real walls and a ceiling. I personally believe a restaurant is classier when the layout is limited and the kitchen is hidden, though that's not usually the case in real life. I took elements of small hipster spots and combined them with the larger refined locations. Most of the objects were intended to fit in such a classy beach theme, but without properly remembering the exact look I was limited to stock images that came close.


Objects:
  • Table (board, legs, and supports)
  • Silverware (fork, knife, and spoon)
  • Napkin (for silverware)
  • Plate
  • Drinking glasses (martini and whiskey)
  • Pitcher filled with water
  • Candle (candlestick, square jar, sand)
  • Podium
  • Painting
  • Lights (hanging ceiling globes, wall-mounted cylinders)
  • Structure (walls, ceiling, floor, and window)
Textures:
  • Hardwood floor (Textures101)
  • Silver – for silverware (DeviantArt – SweetSoulSister)
  • Rubber – under table leg (Photos Public Domain)
  • White wood – table legs and supports (Pintrest)
  • Bamboo board – table board (Wikimedia Commons)
  • Dark wood – chair legs, podium, ceiling light frame, painting frame (Pintrest)
  • Purple paint – walls (Cameron Wetzel Hillman)
  • Grey paint – ceiling (Pintrest)
  • Brushed metal – wall light base (iStock)
  • White glass – wall light glass (iStock)
  • Abstract fabric – chair (TextureX)
  • White fabric – cushion (Textures.com)
  • Porcelain – plate (Walmart)
  • Ocean sunset – background (Max Pixel)
  • Sand (Inspiration Hut)
  • Ceramic – ceiling light base (gen4congress.com)
  • Nylon – ceiling light (Country Brook Petz)
  • The Kramer – painting (artexpress.ws)

Problems and Solutions:

1. Time: I am a slow worker, especially with creative assignments. I spent an inordinate amount of time staring at nothing, or attempting to keep my mind occupied to not become too stressed about the deadlines. The nights before weekly ePortfolio checkups were quite difficult. I just had to sit for tens of hours and do nothing else.

2. Upon completing my scene, I noticed that I was at well over 80 thousand faces. I either needed to delete a lot of faces from a lot of objects, or delete several objects entirely. It was disheartening to see my scene lose detail.

3. I wanted to have more interesting textures, but the amount of time I spent on everything prevented anything cool. I chose to do no more than stock images found on the internet to drive a steam train through the pipeline, as I was not interested in wasting effort on simple elements no one would notice.

Time Frame:
  • Planning 2 hours
  • Modeling 15 hours
  • Texturing 15 hours
  • Layout 3 hours
  • Lighting 5 hours
  • Rendering 5 hours
  • Total 45 hours
References:

Ambient Occlusion Set-up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75JFUwA5XL0